Sunday, October 18, 2009

Paint Pot Experiment - A Success

I mixed up my tinted TLS in a tiny paint pot strip like you get with paint by the numbers. I ordered them from

It has been almost 4 weeks and the paint pots DO NOT react to the polymer clay. YAHOO!!! I took one strip of 8 paint pots that are joined and mixed a separate basic color in each pot. Each has it's own lid and all the pots are connected which makes it easier to grab and go. The only thing I did was to clip the side piece that connects the lids to each other. They are still connected to the pots but each can open without having to open all of them.

Here are the steps I followed:

A blob of TLS in each pot with bits of clay added for the color. I clipped the lid connectors before I added the TLS so each one can open without opening the others.

Here is a close up shot.

30 minutes after mixing the TLS and clay mixture. The bits of clay are breaking down to tint the TLS. So far so good.

Close up.
Here is the tints 4 weeks later. Brilliant colors, fully mixed and the pots have had no reaction to the clay. Now to do the same with my metallic and pearl color clays.

Friday, October 2, 2009

Jade and Ivory set

I finally used the faux jade and ivory beads I created. You can see the different colors used in each bead. I love the jade but my next batch will have a more "creamy jade" look I hope as this batch seen was colored with pearl ex powders. Great shades but too much sparkle for jade.

You can see the veins in the ivory beads in the photo above. So detailed. I'm glad I made a nice sized cane of that mix to use later.

Here is the necklace, bracelet and earrings I made with a few beads left over. The only beads I did not make in this set were the tiny wooden beads I used for spacers. They compliment the jade and ivory so well.

My new batch of jade uses tinted translucent clay and embossing power for the depth.