Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Christmas Ornaments

I was blog surfing today and saw pictures of the cutest Christmas Ornaments made out of ceramic clay. http://jenniferjangles.blogspot.com/ . I decided to give it a try with polymer clay and my tinted TLS from an earlier post. Here are the step (tutorial I guess) to make these.

I used about 4 ounces of translucent premo, a piece of green, cadmium red ad zinc yellow to tint the translucent clay along with my tinted TLS and numerous small cookie cutters. I rolled out the translucent clay on the thickest setting in my pasta machine to get it conditioned. I divided it into 3 sections and then added the red, green and yellow.


Here is the translucent clay mixed and rolled out on the largest setting in the pasta machine to prepare for the small cookie cutters I will be using.

Here are the shapes I cut from the clay with the cookie cutters. You can't tell in the photo but they look and feel like jello jigglers.



I decided to swirl a bit of each color to make the bells. I then used a toothpick to paint on the dots and decorations onto the ornaments. You can't see it here but I used the point on the toothpick to start a hole to drill out after they are baked. Here is a photo of the ornaments with the clay and TLS unbaked. You can see the colors on the clay.


I decided to use some gold premo rolled out on the thickest setting and cut out some gingerbread men. I poked a hole in the top with the toothpick and then painted the decorations on with the toothpick and tinted TLS. This is also before baking.

I then baked them in a 250 degree toaster oven (thermometer tested) for 20 minutes and then dunked them in an ice water bath, partially for the translucent clay and partially for my impatience. I then cave them a coating on future polish for a shine.


When the future was dry I used my wire jug and wound some black and violet wire to make cute individual hangers.


Here is a close up all finished and ready to go on a tree. The translucent premo and the tinted TLS look like jello int eh lights and the gold have a mica shimmer. As you can see, the tinted TLS turned out great.




2 comments:

  1. So cute, I have to make some for my challenge, thanks for the tips, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent tute!!! They look fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete